Mentoring Lunch and Learn with Audrey Adlam
Mentoring Lunch & Learn, Sept. 17th
Scripps Interactive Networks
Speaker: Audrey Adlam, VP Public Relations & Talent Development HGTV & DIY
by Kendra Rudder
If you missed the Lunch & Learn that was held at Scripps Interactive Networks on September 17th, here are a few key points:
Audrey’s six “Nuggets of Wisdom” as it relates to mentoring:
- The Hat: open your mind to new things and new opportunities. Don’t ever pass up a chance to learn.
- The Egg: A turning point in your career. Everyone has one, recognize it and take advantage of it.
- The Letter: Be open to honest feedback and constructive criticism. Also….
- Don’t underestimate your abilities
- Realize that no one is great at everything
- One person’s opinion is not the only opinion to consider
- Iron Sharpens Iron: This challenge to your skills will only make you stronger and better.
- The Ask: You and only you are responsible for your career. Ask!
- Hindsight & Other People’s Mistakes: Otherwise known as the benefit of experience! Draw on other people’s experiences and learn from them as well as your own.
Audrey suggests that, most importantly, realize that mentoring moments happen every day. Junior leaders learn from senior leaders and vice-versa. Mentoring not only comes from your professional career but from your personal experiences and relationships as well. Mentoring happens all around us all the time. Recognize those moments and learn from them. The best experiences often come when unexpected!
Below is a testimonial about this event from one of our Peer 2 Peer participants this year.
I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed the Mentoring Lunch & Learn last week. Audrey was so great and I gained so much from the story she shared. This is my first time in the WICT mentoring program and I can’t tell you how excited I am. I met with my mentor last week when I was in Atlanta visiting family, she’s so great. I wish I had done this sooner.
Thanks so much for putting the Lunch and Learn together!
I hope all is more than well!
Have a great afternoon,
Brittany Hockman| Coordinator, Business Affairs