Captivating Catalysts: Journeys of Success from Winning Mentors
by Patreece DeChabert
If you missed the Programming/Mentoring Event that was held yesterday, here are a few highlights.
Cox Communications’ Kristine Faulkner, Vice President-Product Development and Management, led an insightful panel discussion with women leaders in Operations, Strategy, and Technical Services, as they discussed lessons learned, mentoring and following non-traditional career paths.
The panel included:
JILL CAMPBELL, EVP and COO, Cox Communications, Inc.
MONISHA LONGACRE, VP, Portfolio Management and Strategy, The Weather Channel
MARILYN ALTMAN, VP, Technical Services, ARRIS Group, Inc.
Here are a few take-aways:
- Raise your hand, volunteer.
- Say hello – reach out to key people.
- Take risks, don’t be intimidated.
- Seek advice and actually listen to it.
- When multi-tasking go ahead and juggle the balls in the air. Don’t let the glass ones drop. Let the rubber ones bounce and then just grab them up and juggle some more.
- Constantly re-arrange the priorities; it’s okay that some things will not work out as planned, be flexible.
- Life is about choices, make good ones.
- Contribute to non-work projects to increase visibility, to see people in a different light, and so that they see you outside of the day-to-dayenvironment.
Great Books to Read:
- Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done
- Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
- What Got You Here Won’t Get You There: A Round Table Comic: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
- Through the Looking Glass
- Oh, the Places You Will Go! yes, the one by Dr. Seuss–there are fun little things we can still learn from books like this 😉